“Wine is made in the vineyard, not the winery, as most winemakers acknowledge. Travelers can get out among cordons and clusters – maybe even nibble the new vintage right from the vine – with the Sonoma Wine & Walking Tour…” – Wine Enthusiast
- Join our small group public tour or create your own private group
- Don’t just settle for a tasting room, explore where 90% of the winemaking occurs – where the grapes are grown!
- Gain inside access to private Sonoma County vineyard lands
- Connect with people within the wineries that you may otherwise never see or meet
- Travel with your personal guide as he shares his knowledge about grape growing, wine making, and Sonoma County
- Our walks are moderate in difficulty but you should be able to walk a mile or two, including some ups and downs
- Location: Sonoma County, California
- Next Public Tour Date: October 14 – 16, 2018
- Trip Price Per Person: $1,200
- Optional single supplement: $350
- Host: Jim McCammon
- Meals: Two breakfasts and two dinners are included. Lunch will be on your own to give you a chance to explore the area.
Private Tour Option
- Private Tours are available to book on any date you choose, given lodging availability
- Deluxe Tour: $2,350 per person
- Classic Tour: $1,200 per person
- Minimum: 4 people
- Customizations to the above itinerary possible with additional fees. An additional $400 is required for private tours booked on Fridays or Saturdays.
The following is included in our Deluxe Tour offering:
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Professionally selected wines with dinner
- Upgraded to luxury accommodations
The specific wineries we visit depends on the time of year, the days chosen, and how many people are in our group
Depending on how and when you arrive in the area, our guide will meet you at 1:00 pm either at the Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa or our host hotel, whichever is more convenient for you.
From there, we’ll head straight to our first vineyard walk and wine tasting in the Russian River Valley. This AVA is named after the first non-native settlers to come to area and has a rich history as many consider it the birthplace of Sonoma County wine because the first grapes were planted here. The Russian River Valley is known for its Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, as well as other cool-climate loving varietals.
After our walk and tasting, you’ll check into our hotel, if you haven’t done so already. If there is time prior to dinner tonight, we recommend visiting one of the local tasting rooms. This evening we’ll enjoy a casual, but delicious dinner in the area.
Today, we’ll discover the picturesque Dry Creek Valley. This AVA produces a wide variety of excellent wines, but is best known for their world-class zinfandels. Its diversity is due to the unique mix of different soil types, elevations, sun exposure, wind, and water – all within a narrow 16-by-2-mile valley. We’ll head out on our walk to explore another stunning vineyard and cap it off with a lovely wine tasting.
We recommend having lunch at the iconic Dry Creek General Store that was established in 1881 and offers a tasty variety of sustainably-made food. This afternoon, we’ll head to our second wine tasting of the day. If you have a specific place you’d like to visit, let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Later, we’ll enjoy dinner at one of the world-class restaurants in the area.
On our last day together, we’ll meet after breakfast to head out for our last vineyard walk. After a a couple scenic miles on foot, we’ll arrive at our final wine tasting of the tour. Afterwards, we’ll head back to the hotel to check out. We’ll say our farewells and shuttle you back to the Santa Rosa airport or leave you to extend your stay in the area.
I was completely enchanted by the unexpected vibrancy of the autumn vineyards. Drinking the wine, I felt an intimate connection to those soft hills and bursting grapes.Elle P.
It was wonderful! We loved having a private guide, and felt like insiders. The walks and tastings were perfectly paced and planned.Margaret S.
Dry Creek Inn
The Dry Creek Inn is a Tuscan-style getaway conveniently located in the northern part of Sonoma County, just outside of Healdsburg’s downtown area. Relaxing by the outdoor firepits, or lounging poolside with a glass of wine in hand, it is the perfect place to unwind from a busy day and your big city concerns.
Please note: Hotels are subject to availability. If listed hotel is not available at time of tour, a hotel that is equal or better to the original will be secured.
What is Included
- All Local Transportation
- Double Occupancy Lodging
- All breakfasts and dinners (Lunch will be on your own to give you a chance to explore the area)
- All Scheduled Activities
- Wine During Organized Tastings
- Professional Tour Host
Not Included: Travel to and from Santa Rosa/Healdsburg, wine with meals, personal expenses, and optional gratuities to local staff and your guide. Travel insurance is also not included, though we highly recommend it. Check out our Travel Insurance page for more information.
There are four major nearby airports (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, or Sacramento), allowing you to compare prices and schedules if you are flying to the area. You should also consider the much closer Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa. You can easily catch a shuttle from any of the airports or rent a car, which is especially valuable if you plan to extend your vacation in the area. If you rent a car or are driving, Healdsburg is easy to reach via Highway 101 and you can leave your car at the hotel during the tour. If you take a shuttle, it might be easiest to head towards the Sonoma County Airport where we’ll pick up people there before meeting the rest of the group in Healdsburg. We will send you complete details upon registration for the tour.
Arrival & Departure
We will meet you either at our host hotel in Healdsburg at 1:00 PM on the first day of the tour or at the Santa Rosa airport. The tour ends on Day Three at noon. If you have a car, you can leave it at the hotel as you will not need it during the tour. We will also provide a shuttle back to the Sonoma County Airport for those flying out or wishing to take a shuttle from there.